Line Dancer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Line Dancer Forum

A New Forum for Line Dancers everywhere!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spinning around

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: Spinning around   Spinning around Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jan 2007, 00:45

Is it just me or do other people get a bit dizzy sometimes when there are lots of spins.

Am I doing something wrong? Someone in class told me to look at one spot on the wall as I turn, very hard to do though.

Makes me feel a bit sick tongue
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: turning   Spinning around Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jan 2007, 06:13

Well, you have to spot!!
But that isn't very easy and you can't do it perfect the first time.
You have to practise spotting.

This is one exercise, to learn spotting: (this is also how I learned it)
you have to take a spot straight before you (at the same hight as your eyes) then take little steps turning and keep your head as long as possible at the spotpoint, then when you can't keep your head there any longer (because yoúr body has turned to much) turn your head to the otherside and look again at the spotpoint.

exercise 2:
take a person who wants to stand in front of you (about 8 steps away from you) with his finger up high as your spotpoint. You are going to take a step forward with your right foot (or your left foot). And turn (a whole turn over right shoulder, weight on right foot) while closing left foot next to right foot. In the turn you have to spot at the finger of the person who stands in front of you. You can do this as many times as you want without getting dizzy (if you spot at the good way), and you can also do this exercise as quik as you want and you can ad some arms in the turn.

I dance line dance for about seven years, but my spotting is not yet perfect, because I take my spotpoint to low and that is not so pretty. And I want to wish you luck with spotting. I'm sorry for my bad english. You can take a look at my website www.freewebs.com/dansjah then look at the page movies and you can see me spotting in my dances.

Good luck with spotting!!! And turning

Greetzzz Janna
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spinning around   Spinning around Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jan 2007, 11:32

Thanks dansjah

I'm going to give that a go, if anything it sounds like a bit of fun whether I manage it or not.

Basically it is keep looking at the same spot as long as possible.

Thank you cheers
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: SPINNING AROUND   Spinning around Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 01:17

Dances with lots of spins DO make everyone giddy. It is a normal thing. The first time you do a line dance with lots of turnings, it makes the world go round for you. It takes a lot of getting-used-to to totally rid that feeling of spinning around.
The method here is to reduce the number of turnings in that dance by replacing the triple full turns with straight forward shuffles. Once you are fully at home with the dance and the giddiness is gone, try to introduce the full turns one by one until you can dance the original moves without spinning.
This is my technique but others will beg to differ. But I don't care because it works for me every time.
Back to top Go down
H McT

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spinning around   Spinning around Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 10:38

Hi
I've been line dancing for a few years and still get dizzy no matter what I try.
I am now quite good at taking turns out - and do it even when its not suggested in the script. Everyone in the classes I go to is used to it now -Some move away while we're learning turns in a new dance as I put them off, but there's no hard feelings.
Others don't mind - there are those who put extra turns in to compensate for those I take out. As long as you're line dancing for fun I don't think it matters
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: STILL SPINNING AROUND   Spinning around Icon_minitimeThu 09 Oct 2008, 01:20

Mad I do not understand why certain choreographers like to put in a lot of turns in their line dances. Sometimes, too much of one ingredient will spoil the soup. The main purpose of a turn is to change the direction of a line dance to a new wall. Turns are dangerous especially the full turn when performed on a single count. Unless you have strong legs, NEVER attempt such type of turnings for it may be the end of your dancing days if you break your leg as a result of a fall. Sometimes I suspect that these turns were put in to raise the level of the dance, maybe from beginner to intermediate to advance level!!!!!
The majority of the line dancers belong to the beginner category and "they just wanna have fun" as Cyndi Lauper sang. Why make life difficult for them?
I know of one guy who will do the full turn whenever the opportunity arises, as in "walk, walk, forward shuffle". This guy will do a full turn followed by the forward shuffle. Common, guy, give me a break! You spoil the beauty of the dance. If a full turn is required, I am sure, the choreographer would have put it in.
Back to top Go down
LuvToDanz

LuvToDanz

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spinning around   Spinning around Icon_minitimeThu 09 Oct 2008, 08:06

There are a many dancers out there and no one knows how many are beginners or intermediate or advanced dancers.

When someone wants to put a full turn whenever he feels like it without spoiling the dance then go ahead! Spice up the dance!

Some beginner dances are nice to dance to but when it is a long track it becomes boring. So to me, some modifications here and there are acceptable.

When you are in a linedance jam and you want to just dance the steps according to the stepsheet, nobody will stop you. But if you do see somebody doing turns (not according to the stepsheet) and having fun fun leave him be. I am quite sure he's just ENJOYING himself ; nothing else Wink And I think the choreographer will not MIND this at all flower
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2007-02-21

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spinning around   Spinning around Icon_minitimeThu 09 Oct 2008, 10:39

I have noticed ('cos I'm really nosey.. Rolling Eyes ) that sometimes Choreographers tends to 'overdo' it with the turns within their dances. Maybe they think its 'cool' because THEY can do all those turns.. but it can make a very beautiful dance turn quite 'ugly' and all the natural flow disappears.

I agree LTD that sometimes (when it will not disturb others) a few variations tends to liven up a dance. Especially one that has been done so many times its beginning to become a little boring. For example 'Stroll Along Cha Cha (done to Jennifer Lopez 'Lets get loud') instead of the final 1/4 turn do a 3/4 turn - then start the dance a'la Contre (for 4 walls then.. ) return to 'normal' by doing a FULL turn. Simple.. but adds 'just that little bit'.
I have to disagree with Leo as regards to 'strong legs' to do a full turn - balance is by far more important. I have seen six year olds do a single count full turn perfectly... and yet has proven difficult for a thirty year old. Why?. Because they have FORGOTTEN how to balance. A good Instructor should find time to (re)teach that skill which the dancer has lost.
If Instructors can perfect the rudiments of the dance steps and the importance of balance, then maybe not as many accidents will happen. And those Instructors may go forward and become Teachers of dance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spinning around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spinning around   Spinning around Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spinning around
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Line Dancer Forum :: Dance Surgery :: Help - how do I do that?-
Jump to: