Line Dancer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Line Dancer Forum

A New Forum for Line Dancers everywhere!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Got a question about a dance

Go down 
+3
Tigger
Jennifer
Dancing Gal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dancing Gal
Admin
Admin
Dancing Gal

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2006-12-03

Got a question about a dance Empty
PostSubject: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jan 2007, 02:35

If you have pop it here. Someone might be able to help you scratch
Back to top Go down
https://linedancerforum.editboard.com
Jennifer

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeSun 08 Jun 2008, 01:01

I do have a question!

Some stepsheets say RIGHT TWINKLE starts with your RF, but some say start with your LF towards the right....

So which is which? Would appreciate any help out there :-)
Back to top Go down
http://hotlinerz.wordpress.com
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2007-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeFri 12 Sep 2008, 05:48

Sorry about the delay... I was hoping someone would jump in first..but..

Right, first things first .. the Twinkle is a Ballroom term and thats where the similarity ends.

The Twinkle is performed only by the Lady whereas withing line Dance there is no division. Also within Ballroom the count is six, whereas in Line dance its only three.

If you take the last three counts of the Ballroom Twinkle you have a 'close' affinity to the Linedance version... but only close.
In answer to you question: In BOTH cases you can lead with either the right or left foot. In most cases within Linedance (all within Ballroom) the lead foot crosses OVER the trailing foot.

Simply put - within Ballroom the body is facing the diagonal when performing the count - straightening with the second - and facing (opposite) diagonal with the third (dependent on following combination). Whereas within Linedance - anything goes.

These corruptions of Ballroom terms spread to the very basic Mambo step and other. The Bosa Nova is NOT a dance anywhere except in Linedancing... and they cant even get the rhythmn or tempo right for that.

I know a heck of a lot of people dont really mind (or even care) about such things - but a large number of Linedancers bemoan that they are not taken seriously by other genre's or the media... one wonders why!!
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: RIGHT OR LEFT TWINKLE?   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 19:13

I think, in order to avoid the confusion, we should write out step sheets in the following ways:

1) Twinkle to the right on left-right-left

2) Twinkle to the left on right-left-right

Any better suggestion?
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeWed 01 Oct 2008, 16:02

I agree Leo...

... now all one has to do is try and 'educate' a few thousand Instructors/Choreographers. I dont separate the two as the vast majority of Instructors are also Choreographers - though I strongly suspect they were Instructors first.
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

PostSubject: SAILOR SHUFFLE - WHICH IS LEFT AND WHICH IS RIGHT   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 08:35

Crying or Very sad After the twinkles, let us discuss the sailors. May I ask - which one is right and which is left? How do you describe the right and left sailors? As in twinkles, some step sheets described the left sailor with the starting foot as left even though the direction is towards the right! And vice-versa. Now, the big question is "WHICH IS WHICH?".

Can somebody throw some light onto this query?
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 09:43

The CORRECT steps taken within a ‘Sailor Step’ or ‘Sailor Shuffle’ are as follows.
We will assume that the lead foot in this instance is the right.

1. Step the right foot behind and to the left of the left foot.
& (a) Step the left foot NEXT to the right.
2. Step the right foot SLIGHTLY to the right.

As in most things a more ‘relaxed’ combination can often look like this:

1. Step the right foot behind and to the left of the left foot.
& (a) Step left foot to left side.
2. Step right foot to right side.

(note: on & (a) and 2 there is no definite lead foot position)

There is also a ‘Slow Sailor’ which uses THREE full counts instead of the normal syncopated 1&2.
Back to top Go down
Destiny
2 Smooth 2 Move
Destiny

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 09:54

Yep.......my understanding of a right sailor step is leading with the right & a left sailor step is leading with the left.
Back to top Go down
LuvToDanz

LuvToDanz

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 23:17

Destiny's

Yep.......my understanding of a right sailor step is leading with the right & a left sailor step is leading with the left.

clap Right on... Smile
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

PostSubject: SAILOR SHUFFLE - WHICH IS LEFT AND WHICH IS RIGHT   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2008, 08:06

Sorry, Tigger.
You have not answered my question. You just described the sailors.
Based on the explanations by the other two respondents, I take RIGHT SAILOR as one with the right foot as the lead irrespective of direction. The same applies to the LEFT SAILOR. Direction, therefore, does not come into play in sailor shuffles.
Thanks, guys/gals.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2008, 09:38

Hi,

Linedancing though like no other dance genre can get confusing on some of the simplest pieces of information.

Sometimes even trained (sic) Instructors confuse a 'Twinkle' with a 'Sailor' - hence my full description ..so that, at least during this thread we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Technically there is no such animal as either a RIGHT or a LEFT Sailor.

From a personal and (to me) common sense view. When describing certain step combinations I have found it a lot easier to understand when the direction is indicated by the movement of the lead foot on the last count. For example - a Coaster (Step/Shuffle)... some Choreographers tend to put Forward Coaster Step when the final step is the lead foot is moving backward. They seem to think that because the FIRST step is forward its a 'forward' Coaster. Like a Sailor Step, I reckon that to save any possible confusion (even to the Choreographers) for the Choreographer just to put 'Coaster' or 'Sailor' on the section headers.
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

PostSubject: NAME THIS COMBINATION.   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeTue 21 Oct 2008, 09:13

Now that the twinkles and sailors are settled, can we move on?

What is the name of this combination of steps?
1&2 Cross-step right behind left, recover onto left, step right to right side

Some step sheets name it as a Reverse Cross Mambo. Is it correct? From my observation, a lot of line dancers do it as a Sailor Shuffle!!!
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeTue 21 Oct 2008, 13:49

Some step sheets name it as a Reverse Cross Mambo. Is it correct?
Another case where a Ballroom/Latin move has been manipulated to suit Linedancing. Nothing wrong in that, providing Linedancers dont assume they are doing anything but Linedancing.
This has been spoken about before but to 'nutshell' it. A number of choreographers tend to use a Latin/Ballroom move in ‘name’ only... with the steps bearing a partial resemblance to the 'real thing'… to add (possibly) authenticity to the dance.
The ‘Reverse Cross Mambo’ whilst being ‘technically’ incorrect is permissible within the Linedancing genre.
I personally wouldn’t have a problem with it – though I would say: ‘Behind-Step-Side' is closer to the combination.

From my observation, a lot of line dancers do it as a Sailor Shuffle!!!
They possibly may. That being the case they have either not been instructed correctly or (maybe) taken a more comfortable option. If it were a dance within a Competition they would – if I were judging – lose points.

Just an observation: shouldn't these questions (because they are not directed at a specific dance) be more fitted to appear within the ' Help - how do I do that?' section of 'DANCE SURGERY'... script
Back to top Go down
Destiny
2 Smooth 2 Move
Destiny

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeTue 21 Oct 2008, 15:17

LEO BOOMEN wrote:
What is the name of this combination of steps?
1&2 Cross-step right behind left, recover onto left, step right to right side

Some step sheets name it as a Reverse Cross Mambo. Is it correct? From my observation, a lot of line dancers do it as a Sailor Shuffle!!!

Hi Leo

If I was choreographing a dance using this step combination, I would be tempted to call it "syncopated back rock side".

*ducks back down behind that fence
Back to top Go down
LEO BOOMEN

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeTue 21 Oct 2008, 17:00

This has been spoken about before but to 'nutshell' it. ( Tigger )

Oops, sorry. I do not know about it because I am new here.

Just an observation: shouldn't these questions (because they are not directed at a specific dance) be more fitted to appear within the ' Help - how do I do that?' section of 'DANCE SURGERY'...[b]

Sorry again. I just continue where Jennifer left off! Maybe, our next destination should be the DANCE SURGERY!
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeWed 22 Oct 2008, 07:12

No need to apolgise Leo. What we can do is continue with this subject on here.. and when its appears done.. transfer it over to the Surgery. Not a problem. And Jennifer is a little quiet... obviously working far too hard on her next dance... and at 'work' as well.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeWed 29 Oct 2008, 05:15

ELEVATOR: Julie & Nev......

taken from the Hotlinerz blog site
http://hotlinerz.wordpress.com/
.... there is a poll as well... so why not vote:

I love the dance and song for Elevator (Neville Fitzgerald & Julie Harris) and have always loved their choreographies! However, I wonder if anyone else share my feelings that there should be a 3rd restart after count 48 on Wall 5? All step sheets mentioned only 2 restarts on Wall 1 and 3.

I had at first thought perhaps my song version was wrong, but after hearing it in parties, the song has the same phrasing: 48 counts for the each verse and 64 counts for the chorus. And the song goes verse - chorus - verse - chorus - verse - chorus… Some versions have a remixed “hip hop dot com” rap but the phrasing is still the same. Or perhaps I did not get the latest/updated script?.......
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeWed 29 Oct 2008, 05:21

After hearing the song.....

the phrasing is as follows: 48-64-48-64-48-64 on the 7th wall the music fades after count 40

Is there an updated script... or is the only one the one with two restarts - or technically 'short walls'... as you start a new wall when you start the dance from count one (but thats in Linedance lesson number 649...lol.. even I aint got that far yet)
Back to top Go down
Jennifer

Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeWed 29 Oct 2008, 06:42

[quote="Tigger"]Sorry about the delay... I was hoping someone would jump in first..but..

Thanks Tigger.. I waited too long and gave up watching this thread... but it seemed it became very active thereafter!

Thx for the explanation. So twinkle to the right side leading wt the left foot is a Right Twinkle... or so it was called.
Back to top Go down
http://hotlinerz.wordpress.com
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008, 09:44

ELEVATOR - the conclusion

I have been kindly sent an email regarding the non 3rd restart....

(edited) Dance was done with just the two restarts even tho it could have had three..
Reason being was i wanted to do the kicky wiggly bit at front & back.... & it still fits well... tho i suppose that bit stands out like a sore thumb to you now... but it is how it's meant to be..

Nev

There ya go folks.... I hope this is the answer those other dancers were asking about all those months ago (but stated they were never given an answer). Nice one Nev.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008, 03:07

Welllllllllllllllllllllll... not so much a question... more a statement of fact and a request all thrown into one....

Within the membership (and many 'onlookers') there are gifted Choreographers.

Those Choreographers can place their own dances on this forum (under 'New Dances') at any time they so wish.. there is no reason why they cannot - unless they are not a member... but that can be quickly remedied can't it.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Admin
Admin
Tigger

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 13:30

Just thought I would 'gee up' any members who are Choreographers.. and there are a few. It does appear that although they have placed links etc to their new dances on other sites they seem 'reluctant' to place them on here. Annoyed...?... yes I am somewhat and honestly, disappointed in those particular choreographers.
I have deliberately not put on any new dances onto this site incase some people may have thought I was ‘hogging it’.. so I left it, hoping some would place new dances. Again barring a couple of dances I am disappointed in the lack of uptake.
I will continue as before.. placing dances on here that you would not normally see on the very cliquey follow-the-leader peer pressured dance floors across the UK. If anyone wishes to place links to other dances…. be our guest.
Back to top Go down
xtian

Registration date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitimeThu 22 Nov 2012, 23:35

Okay! Thanks for this!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got a question about a dance   Got a question about a dance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got a question about a dance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Line Dancer Forum :: General Discussion :: The latest dances-
Jump to: